I’ve four various kinds of exterior logging knowledge that may be opened in my desktop utility. They’re displayed as tables. Every of those have a number of columns in widespread (e.g. timestamp), however many of the columns are fully totally different to the opposite sorts of logs.
Since it will be helpful to view ‘mixed’ variations of those tables in a single single tab, I wish to implement this characteristic, however I am struggling to discover a usable resolution.
Please remark if the use-case is unclear.
I’ve provide you with three concepts, however I am not happy with any of them, to be sincere. Please be at liberty to counsel an alternative choice. Which manner is the most effective to go about this downside?
First Thought: Naive Mixture
Simply add all distinctive columns (over 30 if all four varieties are opened in my case) into one desk. Whereas the visibility of columns may be toggled, it will nonetheless show many columns, as a result of as I discussed most of them are distinctive.
- Straightforward to implement 😉
- Method too many columns.
- Contents of distinctive columns will likely be separated. E.g. all knowledge of log sort A could be on the left aspect of the desk, all knowledge of log sort B on the fitting aspect.
Second Thought: Stacked Columns
For example I open two sorts of logs.
The desk header will then encompass two rows: one for log sort A, the opposite one for log sort B. Every row accommodates the columns for this kind, if they’re distinctive. For non-unique columns two header rows would merely be merged into one.
The place of columns can be configurable for every header row. Resizing alternatively wouldn’t.
- Perhaps laborious for the person to grasp at first.
- One cell of a column can comprise different sort of data than the one under, for instance. For this I may both barely coloration the rows for identification of log sort or add a textual/visible identifier of log sort as the primary column. (or each)
Third Thought: x Tables in a single tab with a ghostly scrollbar
E.g. Put 2 tables side-by-side, synchronize scrollbars to be on the nearest identical timestamp.
- Most likely simple to grasp for the person
- Self-moving scrollbars
- Every desk may solely be capable of show portion of columns
- What if four sorts of logs are opened? Would a 2×2 grid be displayed?
- In the long run simply a good worse model of Thought #1
Fourth concept: Your flip